Sometimes you’ll get a window which has no features. No menu bar. No scroll bars. Can’t be re-sized. No close button. No reload/refresh button. No File -> Print. No File -> Print Preview. That can be annoying. You can prevent that (at least some of the time).
Update 03/13/2019: quick update: try also this:
DISable them. Disable. Because these give control to the website which you want to take away 😉
End Update 03/13/2019
The following solution worked for me, 4/2/2013 on the website Star991.com. That website had a “Listen Now” link which opened a new, feature-less (ie, features disabled) window.
- In the address bar, type
- It will warn you saying, “This might void your warranty!” and “You should only continue if you are sure of what you are doing.”Make sure you only change what’s discussed in this post. Go ahead and click the “I’ll be careful, I promise” button. Again, make sure you only change what’s discussed in this post.
- Type “dom” into the search bar. That’s probably enuf to reveal the settings below. If not, type more, like “dom.disable” or “dom.disable_window”. Do not type the double quotes into the search bar.
- Right click the one(s) you want and click Toggle, to set them from false to true. That might be a little confusing. You’re turning on the disable. And you’re disabling (preventing) the webpage from disabling features (like menu). You’re disabling the disablers. It can be confusing.
- You then have to re-do the click that opened the annoying window.
- You might want to then turn it back to false, so all the rest of your browsing will stay the same. Or maybe you like having this new-found control 😉
Prevent websites from disabling new window features
This article describes how to prevent websites from disabling certain new window features by changing the related Firefox or Mozilla Suite preference setting.
Meaning of Values (all these values are type “Boolean”) Web page authors can disable many features of a popup window that they open. Setting these preferences to true will override the author’s settings and ensure that that feature is enabled and present in any popup window. dom.disable_window_open_feature.close: Prevents the close button from being disabled. dom.disable_window_open_feature.directories: Prevents the bookmarks toolbar from being hidden. dom.disable_window_open_feature.location: Prevents the address bar from being hidden dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar: Prevents the menubar from being hidden. dom.dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable: Prevents popup window minimization from being disabled. dom.disable_window_open_feature.personalbar: Prevents the bookmarks toolbar from being hidden. dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable: Prevents popup window resizing from being disabled. dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars: Prevents the scrollbars on a popup from being disabled. dom.disable_window_open_feature.status: Prevents the status bar from being hidden. dom.disable_window_open_feature.titlebar: Prevents the title bar from being hidden. dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar: Prevents the navigation toolbar from being hidden. (eg the favorite and reload buttons, and the history drop-down menu)