Everybody says, “It’s easy, just use Google Drive. It’s free.”
And I’m sure Google wants you to think that.
And it is easy except for one type of sharing:
- Password protected sharing to people who do not have a google account.
To be specific, here are the layers of sharing:
- Public. AKA Publish to the web. Everyone can view. Even strangers.
- Sharing with people by emailing them a link
- Good News: do not need to have a google account
- Bad news: ANYONE who has the link can view the file.
- Bad news: REQUIRES a google account. In fact, the password to their google account is what protects the file from unauthorized eyes.
So the premium feature is sharing with ONLY SPECIFIC PEOPLE – WITHOUT a google account.
Box.com can do it with paid subscription only. As little as $10 or $5 / month.